In this final summary lesson, we’re reminded that God’s Word gives us SIMPLE and MEMORABLE guidance for marriage and all our other relationships. Most of all, Scripture directs our attention to Jesus as the one who relates to us perfectly and teaches us how to relate to others. Having received the free forgiveness and perfect love of Jesus, we’re able to pass along this SIMPLE and MEMORABLE message to others in word and action so they, too, can enjoy the healing and strengthening power of the Gospel in ALL their relationships.
LESSON 8: SIMPLE, MEMORABLE & GOSPEL CENTERED Summary
Read Mark 12:28-31
1. When it comes to relationships, our highest priority should be placed upon what relationship?
2. How can we grow in this primary relationship?
Read Eph. 5:31, Ex. 20:12 & Gal. 6:10
3. Based on these passages and what you’ve learned in this study, discuss your level of agreement with using the “Thumbs Up” illustration* as a way to remind us of the general order in which we should prioritize our relationships with God and man. *[The “Thumbs Up” illustration matches all our relationships with the fingers of your hand in prioritized order as follows: Upright Thumb = Jesus/God, Forefinger = Spouse, Middle Finger = Children & Extended Family, Ring Finger = Church Family/All Christians, Pinky = Everyone Else in the World.]
4. Using the “Thumbs Up” illustration of relationship priorities, find a partner and take turns explaining relationship priorities to the other in 2 minutes.
Read Eph. 5:31-32
5. What are the three aspects of love that Jesus, as the perfect husband, shows to us in the Christian church as His beloved bride?
6. To what degree do these three aspects of love apply in marriage and then also in ALL our human relationships?
7. Describe how the terms SACRIFICIAL, UNCONDTIONAL and INCARNATIONAL seem to be fitting descriptions of the type of love Jesus has for us and we are to have for one another.
8. Verbally describing a triangle labeled at each point with one of the three terms in question 7, find a partner and take turns explaining loving relationships to the other in 3 minutes.
Apply the insights of this lesson to your life.
1. Share an example of how you’ve been able to use the “Thumbs Up” illustration to remind you or someone around you about relationship priorities.
2. Share an example of how the “Thumbs Up” illustration led you or someone around you to the perfect and comforting love of Jesus.
3. Think about and possibly share an instance in which you INTEND to apply the “Thumbs Up” illustration to guide you or someone around you to the comfort and guidance of God’s way for all relationships.
4. Share an example of how you’ve been able to use the illustration of a triangle marked with SACRIFICIAL, UNCONDITIONAL and INCARNATIONAL LOVE to remind you or someone around you about the way God intends for us to show love in all our relationships.
5. Share an example of how the “Triangle of God’s Way to Love” illustration (just described above) led you or someone around you to the perfect and comforting love of Jesus.
6. Think about and possibly share an instance in which you INTEND to apply the “Triangle of God’s Way to Love” illustration (just described above) to guide you or someone around you to the comfort and guidance of God’s way for all relationships.
Pray: Jesus, thank you for loving me perfectly, especially for giving me complete forgiveness for all my relationship failures. Guide me to prioritize my relationships properly with you on top. Lead me to love others with your sacrificial, unconditional and incarnational love. Fill me with the daily joy and peace of living all my relationships in your way. Grant that the Gospel hope I receive from you will overflow through me to everyone around me. Amen.