God’s Word provides us with SIMPLE and MEMORABLE guidance for marriage and all our other relationships. Most of all, Scripture directs our attention to Jesus as the one who relates to us perfectly and teaches us how to relate to others. This study considers how receiving the perfect love of Jesus and guiding others to do the same gives us clear and important PURPOSE in life.
Life in God’s Way … A Bible Study
Rev. Dr. Todd A. Biermann
LESSON 6: Simple PURPOSE for Life
Read Eph. 5:31-32
1. Describe the three key actions that shape marriage in God’s way and that also provide helpful direction for all relationships.
2. Describe how Jesus has loved us perfectly according to the three actions you just described in question 1.
3. How successful are you at keeping your relationship with Jesus as your highest priority, receiving his perfect love on a regular basis?
4. How have you been successful and unsuccessful at loving everyone in your life according to the three actions you just described in question 1?
Read John 1:29; John 3:16; Matt. 11:28; John 14:6; Isa. 54:5-8
5. How does the Gospel in these passages give us comfort and hope in the face of our relationship failures, both with Jesus and with the people around us?
6. Why is it true that everyone needs the Gospel comfort provided in passages like these as they consider their relationships?
7. What “tough love” teaching may you have to give to others regarding their relationships before they’ll be ready to receive the Gospel comfort of passages like these?
Read John 13:34; Col. 3:12-14
8. How can your example of living relationships in God’s way provide the correction that others may need for their own relationships?
9. How can your example of living relationships in God’s way provide the comfort that others will need for their own relationships?
Read Matt. 28:18-20; Acts 1:8
10. How can your example of living relationships in God’s way be used by the Holy Spirit to create and/or preserve saving faith in Jesus Christ?
11. Explain to what degree you both AGREE and DISAGREE with this statement: Our simple purpose in life is to always receive the sacrificial, unconditional and incarnational love of Jesus and to then show that same love in our relationships with our spouse, family, fellow Christians and everyone else (in that order).
Apply the insights of this lesson to your life.
1. Describe how your relationship with Jesus Christ has contributed to your contentment and fulfillment in life?
2. Describe how relating to others as Jesus relates to you has contributed to your contentment and fulfillment in life?
3. What insights does this lesson provide concerning our approach to evangelism and missions?
Pray: Dearest Jesus, thank you for loving me with perfectly sacrificial, unconditional and incarnational love. Give me purpose in life as I pass along your love in all my relationships with others. Grant that living according to this purpose will bring contentment and joy to me and all those whom I love in your way. Amen.